Friday, May 25, 2018

This Is My Delight

My favorite shirt, favorite pants and shoes; I thought I looked so good when I wore them. They wore out, became outdated, all of a sudden were a bit too snug. I no longer cared for them, and they were discarded, thrown out; I hated to see them go.

I bought a new car, bright, shiny, leather, gadgets galore, and I loved that smell; nothing like a new car smell. I was very proud when I drove it. As the years went by the wonderful aroma became stale, nicks and dents, the bright shiny paint dimmed by the sun, a few cracks in the glorious leather, and some gadgets stopped working. Not quite as proud, no longer my heart’s desire, thinking about trading; it just didn’t last.

Young legs, strong arms, good eyes with keen perception, and a mind that knew the game, both basketball and baseball. My world, my happiness, something for which I lived. I played hard, every time I gave my best, couldn’t wait for the next game, and the next, and always the next. Then the arms and legs got older, tired, too tired, too slow, the eyes not as perceptive, the game became hard, too hard, too dangerous for an older man to continue. Such a sad time when I could no longer play the game.

A tough lesson to learn, a harsh reality, difficult to say goodbye, no more, it’s over...that truth— Nothing lasts forever. So we find our delight, our hope, our everything in clothes and shoes, and cars, and houses, and sports, and teams, and activities, and maybe in our work, but none of these last forever. Can something that ceases to exist have real value? Is there anything which lasts forever? Is there anything in which we can find delight that lasts forever? I believe there is!

“Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight,,,Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word. Psalm 119:35, 37

The richness of God’s word is eternal. In his word we find our only hope. When we read it, study it, meditate on it, trust in  it and live our lives according to it we find real delight. It never wears out, never changes, will never let us down, builds us up, encourages us, fills us with joy and gives us peace. I thank God for his word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...