Sunday, December 9, 2018

What Do You Like

I don’t like raw onions or raw beets or raw tomatoes. In fact I don’t like any raw vegetables. I don’t like getting old, or having to take so much medicine. There are many things I don’t like. But I know that people don’t care what I don’t like, and they just as soon not hear my negative bellyaching. A spokesman for a car dealership here in the Raleigh area always ends his ads by saying, “Don’t tell me what you won’t do! Tell me what you will do!” To borrow from this ad wouldn’t it be better if everyone would be of a mind to adopt the mantra, “Don’t tell me what you don’t like! Tell me what you do like!”

There are many spouses who need to hear from their partner what they like about them, certainly not what they don’t like. Every child should hear over and over positive comments about themselves  from their parents. Too many children rarely receive the affirmation from their parents that will help them develop a good self image. Friends need to hear a lot of “that a boys or that a girls” from their friends. We see people everyday who simply need a smile, a kind word or a compliment. What’s wrong with telling someone, “You have a beautiful smile, or I like your dress, suit, coat or whatever.” Our positive body language may go a long way in making someone feel better about themselves. Try to be positive!

Hey! Did you know that I like good old homemade cornbread crumbled up in a cold glass of milk? I love peanut butter. I love my beautiful wife, and I really like being with my friends. Now, isn’t that better. Maybe you don’t care about that either, but it sure makes me feel better. Don’t tell others what you don’t like! Tell them what you do like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...