Thursday, October 12, 2017

So What If It’s My Birthday

Today is my birthday. I usually get depressed around birthday time. I don’t know why. I guess I am more aware of my mortality as I realize I am another year closer to the end of my life on earth.  For years I have had a tendency to struggle with depression. Medication keeps it checked, but sometimes even those pills don’t seem to help. Having a birthday is one of those occasions.  So far I am doing well this year; no depression yet. Sherri has been reminding me that I’m doing really well. She is right, I feel good, and as far as I know I’m in good shape. I remember the first time a doctor told me I was in good shape after giving me a physical, then he added, “For a man your age.” I didn’t like that. I was only 54. That was the age of my dad when he died.

The Brady men, historically, have not been blessed with long life. I’ve done research on the Brady family tree, and have traced our line back to my seventh great grandfather. His name was William Brady, and he died at age 53. The average life expectancy for these nine Brady men in my tree was 65 and a half years. Today I am 69 years old. I’m really surprised I’m not really depressed.

How old you are when you die is not what is important. What is important is what you have done with the years you were given. The important thing is who you have allowed to guide you during those years. Have you been the guide or have you allowed God to be the guide? Proverbs 6:3 says, “In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your path straight.” We have a choice as to the path we follow in those years we are given.

Some don’t want to acknowledge God, nor do they want him in their lives. They live the way they want to live, and don’t care what anyone thinks. The Bible says, “The way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know over what they stumble.” Proverbs 4.  Those who stumble in darkness  have chosen to live in wickedness. The sad truth is that they don’t understand. As long as they refuse to let God guide them they walk on the path that leads to darkness. These people think life is great, but if they would look toward the end of the path they would see nothing but darkness.



Those who acknowledge God in all they do will walk the straight path that leads to the light. They live in righteousness. “This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.”  1 John 1:5. A short life lived in the light should be more desired than a long life lived in the wickedness of darkness. If we have chosen to let God guide our lives we will look down that path we have been traveling, and we will see the brilliant light of His glory at the end.



Happy birthday to me! I’m just a little closer to seeing that glorious light at the end of my path.

5 comments:

  1. John Paul, I need to correct the database at church. We have your birthday listed for tomorrow, 10/13.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to you! I am so thankful you crossed my path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Paul, Interesting and intimate post. Thank you for sharing your anxiety based upon your family history. We all "struggle with our mortality and, more importantly, what we have done with our time here. I sometimes feel "depressed" when I think of how much more I might have accomplished in life, decissions I made that - in retrospect - took me nowhere, and what I can do better with however many days I have left. I sing. I love to sing. I'm sad that I never learned to read music. It embarrasses me. It makes me angry with myself because music - in many ways - defines who I am. It is also a gift the Lord gave me... and I squandered it. But I continue to try to do the best I can, realizing that one day I will lose my ability to sing. I fear the day when I realize that I need to stop doing what I love. Let's make a deal, my (new) friend... let's keep singing together... let's use whatever gifts we have, to the best of our abilities, and share them with others in ways that reflect Christ to those we touch. I hardly know you and Sharri... but you have already been a blessing. You have already made a difference... and you didn't even realize it. And I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Larry. I really do appreciate your encouraging words. I too regret having not done more with my musical talent. When I was growing up I wanted more than anything to play the piano. I also like baseball and was pretty good at it. I took piano lessons in the fifth grade. My friends teased me and I quit after a year. That was pretty much the same thing with singing in. Since I’ve gotten to the place I can’t play sports I really regret the dumb decision I made to not learn what I’ve always enjoyed.
      I will take you up on that deal. We will sing as long as these old voices hold out. Look forward to getting to know you better.

      Delete

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...