Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Smiles Communicate Love


There was almost no one out early last evening. The cool wind was very strong, and the dark clouds brought a few sprinkles. I had the track in our subdivision all to myself for my walk. There is a nice walking trail that winds its way to the track.  My mind was lost in thought, and thinking I was alone was startled out of my wits when this tiny little girl on a four wheel scooter came flying around the track's bend heading right at me. I made some kind of a help me Jesus noise as I jumped out of the way. I turned to see a little girl wearing a teeny helmet headed down the straight away. She must have been no more than 4 years old. 'Where in the world did she come from’, I thought!

As I continued on toward the section of the track that is hidden by trees on each side I discovered this miniature speedster’s parents. They barely looked at me. I am guessing from their appearance they were from one of the Central American countries or maybe some place like Ecuador or Peru. On the front side of the track I again met this threesome. The daughter was slightly in front still on her little scooter, but going much slower. Mom and dad were close behind. I smiled at the tiny speed demon, and nodded to her parents as I motioned toward their daughter. They laughed and nodded back at me. The next time around when I met them the young mother gave me a big smile as if to say, “This is my daughter. I am very proud of her. Thank you for acknowledging her!"  I may be wrong, but that is how I perceived the message from her smile. They went on by, and as I turned to look at them they disappeared into the walking trail.



That brief encounter with this family made me feel good. What did they see in my smile and my body language, I wondered? I think the mother heard me express how precious and cute I thought her daughter was. I think she felt me say, “I approve of your little girl. She is special.” We three adults didn't speak one word to each other, yet we communicated love and acceptance. I knew nothing about them, and they knew nothing about me. Still in those few minutes we were together we communicated the love of Jesus. I don't know about them, but I was blessed by our brief encounter.

How amazingly powerful a smile is. A smile speaks many kind words. A smile breaks barriers. A smile is a gift from God that can calm fears, and certainly make this world a better place in which to live. And more importantly it is something that everyone of us have. I think a good smile makes ladies more beautiful, and men more handsome. I think Jesus must have smiled a lot. I'm sure he did. I know every one of his smiles communicated love and acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...