Monday, March 12, 2018

The Prodigal

Sometimes it is really hard for a young boy to do the right thing. He knows what he is supposed to do, but sometimes he ends up doing the opposite. One sunny summer day my dad was going to be gone and had left instructions with my mother for me to mow the yard. That was my job. On this particular day, however, my plan had not been to do any mowing. Actually, there weren't any days that my plans included mowing because that was something I hated doing, but when my dad was around I knew that I had better mow the yard or else he would mow my behind. This day was different. Daddy was going to be gone all day, and I figured I could delay the mowing task. I didn't fear my mom the way I feared my daddy.

I told my mother that I was not going to mow. My mother was a small woman. To look at her you wouldn't think she wouldn't pack much of a punch. When I told her that my plan was not to mow she bristled like a cat ready to pounce on a mouse, and let me know what she was going to do if I didn't get out there in the yard and start mowing. She warned, "John Paul, you get up and get outside and start mowing, or else.” “Or else” can mean several things for a disobedient child. In this case it meant I was going to get my legs blistered with a switch.

On some occasions my mouth reacts before my brain has a chance to process the situation in which I find myself. The correct reaction should have been to say, “Yes ma’am, I will get right to it.” However, that was not what I said. What I actually said was something like, "Mother, I don’t care what you do. I am not going to mow that yard!”

My mother turned and walked away. I heard the back door slam. From the window I could see that little 5 foot lady heading for one of the bushes in our backyard.. She cut what appeared to be a very healthy looking switch. As she made her way back to the house I could see fire in her eyes. All of a sudden I got "that feeling", the feeling you get when you realize that you are in grave danger. I had experienced the pain from a blistering switch before, and I was in no hurry to experience it again. I was desperate. Quickly, I considered my options! Endure the pain or run! Endure the pain or run!  Again my decision making senses failed me. I ran!

I could hear my mother yelling as I descended the hill leading to the farthest reaches of our farm, "John Paul, you had better come back here. When your daddy gets home you are going to really be in trouble." Needless to say I did not go back, but for the rest of the day my mother's words haunted me. "When your daddy gets home you are going to be in big trouble." I loved my dad, and I knew he loved me. He would do anything for me. I also knew that he would punish me when I needed to be punished. The rest of that day was long, hot and boring. I was hungry and I wanted a drink of water so badly. My conscience was in major hurt mode. What was I thinking? How could I do such a stupid thing? I also knew that my behind was going to be in major hurt mode when daddy got home.

As the sun was setting I heard a loud voice echo across the hollow where I had taken refuge. "Boy, you get up here right now!" It was my daddy. That was all he said. The fact that he began his command with the word "boy" meant that I was soon to feel his wrath. I jumped up, and I ran toward that voice. I dreaded what was about to happen, but at the same time I felt a sense of relief. I was tired of being under the burden of fear. I was tired of the anguish I felt from a guilty conscience.  I yearned for the forgiveness and loving acceptance of my mother. The man I called daddy was standing at the top of the hill with his belt in hand. When I reached him nothing was said. He turned me around, and with his belt he gave me what I deserved. I was relieved that I no longer had to hide because of my disobedience which had separated me from my parent's unconditional love.

I loved my dad, but I also had a healthy fear of him. As I got older my love and respect for my parents grew. The day I ran away was just one of many experiences in which my parents instructed me on how to grow into a man. Unfortunately, those lessons were painful at times. In this there is a lesson about our Heavenly Father’s unconditional love for us, and his desire to forgive us when we are disobedient.  Even when we drift away from Him because of our rebellion we can return to Him although His correction is painful. His voice is unmistakable as he calls us back to him. We come back because we know His love erases our pain and restores our joy. That healthy fear is a necessary factor if we are to have a sweet relationship with the Father. Is God good? Does He love us? Yes and yes! But never forget He is the One that must be feared.

Isaiah 11:2-3 The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him—the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,the Spirit of counsel and of might, the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the Lord— and he will delight in the fear of the Lord...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...