Saturday, July 21, 2018

Christmas in July

We have moved, AGAIN!  Let it be known that I hate moving. Moving is not simply getting your junk from one house to another house. Moving is not for sissy’s. It involves weeks of preparation—preparing the house to sell, waiting to find a buyer, then going through the legal process of the closings on your house and the one you are buying, getting rid of junk you don’t want, packing, finding a moving company, the actual moving day, and there is much more, but here is where I want to stop and dwell for a moment.

I want to mention the day of our move. The movers came early on a Tuesday morning. We had packed only the dishes and some other breakable things. The movers packed everything else. That day was frantic. I was trying to take care of a hundred things at once. Our belongings were going to be in the trucks for two nights while we took care of the closings on both houses on Wednesday. So we had to pack some things to take to our daughters just as if we were going on a trip. I remembered to set aside some clothes to wear to the closings as well as the personal items that I would need. The day of the move I was wearing shorts, a T-shirt and a pair on old worn out running shoes.

After the movers left and we were ready to leave our completely empty house I went upstairs, got my suitcase, my clothes for the closings, and was about to get a pair of nicer shoes when I discovered the movers had packed every pair of shoes in owned except the ones I was wearing. “Oh no! I need some nicer shoes, some move comfortable shoes!” The only pair of shoes I had were the old worn out running shoes. Sherri said, “Don’t worry about it just wear them. You will have the others when they move us in on Thursday.” I didn’t like her plan, but I agreed.

Well, today is Saturday. We have unpacked boxes for two days, boxes that had only a vague description of what they contained. It has been like Christmas in July. Like a little kid I have opened box after box hoping that that the moving Santa had put my shoes in one of them. Disappointment after disappointment until finally a box with shoes. I was excited! I quickly removed them only to find that the box contained one pair of golfing shoes, one pair of old hiking shoes and a pair of heavy insulated snow boots. That was all there was. I wanted to scream. In fact, I think I did.

Today is Saturday! I am still wearing my OLD WORN OUT RUNNING SHOES! What kind of hellish Christmas in July is this? Where are the rest of my shoes? Many boxes still to go. Maybe today will be the day that the good Santa will show up. I sure hope so. I don’t think old worn out running shoes will look very good with the suit I intend to wear to church tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...