Friday, August 31, 2018

Wise Counseling

Yesterday I was traveling down Capital Boulevard on my way to Lowes. Capital is one of the busiest most dangerous streets in the Raleigh area. I took the highway 98 exit and prepared to turn left. I was the first car in that lane approaching the stop light. As I neared the light a little red car turned left onto the ramp and was heading right toward me. I noticed a panicked look on that lady driver’s face as she began slowing down. It appeared that she realized her mistake, but I wasn’t sure. I eased my car to the left so that she would not be able to continue on down the ramp to meet the oncoming traffic on Capital.  When she stopped her car I moved forward, put my window down and said, “Ma’am, I guess you know you are going the wrong way.” Of course she did! I’m not sure exactly what her answer was, but I know it wasn’t nice. She did turn around and headed back in the right direction.

This lady didn’t need me to tell her she was going the wrong way. But had she not known, and continued in the direction she was going the result of her decision would have most likely been tragic. Afterwards I was thinking about how even when we think we are going in the right direction in making life decisions it is good to have someone ask us, “Are you sure you are heading in the right direction?” We are blessed if there is a wise person in our lives who loves us and cares about us who will help us evaluate the big decisions we have to make. Everyone needs wise counsel.

Think of the great men and women of the Bible who made tragic decisions because they refused to heed wise counsel. King David had the prophet of God to guide him, but he decided to take another man’s wife after lusting for her when he should have known better. We read of other kings, some of the prophets, many of God’s chosen leaders, and the disciples who made terrible decisions that caused much pain for others and for themselves. All of them had access to the greatest Counselor the world has known, but refused to listen. And if you are like me you too have headed off in the wrong direction without seeking God’s will. Maybe, like me, you refused to listen to someone who tried to give you good advice. I have wished many times that I could go back and change those bad decisions I made because I didn’t listen to wise counsel.

We don’t always get stopped on the highway of life when we are going the wrong way. Not all of the decisions we have to make are as obvious as the wrong way choice that lady made yesterday as she was meeting me head on. That is why before it’s too late that we need to pray for guidance and be willing to listen to others that God may be sending our way to point us in the right direction. And if they tell you that you are going the wrong way, be nice. Don’t be like that woman who spoke unkind words to me even as I was trying to be helpful. I don’t care if you are going the right way and know it, be kind and thank them for caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...