Thursday, October 25, 2018

Her Last Christmas

From the time my mother was 56 years old until she died at age 87 she talked about dying. This started right after my dad died. He was only 54 years old. Mom mentioned dying mostly when our family got together for Christmas. She would say something like, “This may be my last Christmas.” It bothered us for a while, but finally my brother and I started making jokes when she brought it up. I remember Mike, my brother, telling her one Christmas, “Mom, we have decided what we are going to put on you tombstone when you die. We are going to put the inscription “See, I told you this would be my last Christmas!” I don’t think she liked it very much, but Mike and I got a big kick out of it. Well, our mother did die after a long, well lived life, but she missed our dad until her last breath.

To aggravate my daughters I will announce on the rare occasions that we are all together, “This may be my last...whatever the reason for our gathering might be.” The biggest problem I am having with the prospect of dying is what to do with my body. If I choose to be buried I don’t know where the site of my final resting place will be. There is no one left where I grew up that would care enough or be able to go to my grave. At the many other places I’ve lived not many people would remember me. I think I will probably die here in Wake Forest because I don’t plan on moving again. I guess the smartest thing to do is to be cremated. My ashes could be put in a jar and whoever ends up with them could scatter them somewhere at their convenience. I told My wife that if I go first I want my ashes scattered in my recliner because that’s where I’m most comfortable. I doubt if she would do that because of the mess it would make. She would have that vacuum out in a week.

I guess at the age of 70 I need to decide what I want to do. Who knows, this could be my last blog piece. I may not know what will happen with my physical tent, but I do know what will happen with my spirit at my death. I made arrangements for my end day on earth a long time ago. I’m prepared for heaven, but I continue to prepare to meet Jesus my Savior and judge. Yes, we need to be ready to meet him as obedient children; followers who have worked to become more and more like him each day; devoted disciples who spend time in prayer and time praising him and worshiping him as the sacrificial Lamb of God; students of the scriptures which will lead us along the path of righteousness. Jesus knows my heart, and when I meet him I don’t want to be found lacking in any way. None of us knows—tonight may be our last night on this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...