Tuesday, January 8, 2019

The Dog I Didn’t Know I Had


He has been around for almost thirty years, but I only noticed him a few weeks ago. I was sitting in one of our bedroom chairs putting on my socks when I first saw him. It just so happens that he has apparently been ingrained in the side of our chest of drawers which we have had for over half of our marriage. He looks like a dog. He is so real looking that I named him Woody. Woody seemed to appear from out of nowhere. I don’t know how we missed seeing him all these years. He has become quite a novelty, but he really is not an adequate replacement for a real live dog.

I have wanted another dog ever since we had to put down our little Maltese, Pogo. We had him for fourteen years. We got him when he was a puppy about three years before we said goodbye to Pepe, another Maltese. Pepe was sixteen when he died. We got Pepe when he was three years old. He was an alpha male, and had a pretty mean streak. It took me a while to convince him that I was the king of our house. I’m not sure he ever really understood that fact. Sherri and I loved Pepe, but Pogo was always extra special to us. He was the sweetest dog we ever had, it broke our hearts when Pepe died, but I have never gotten over losing Pogo.

Pogo and I had a special relationship. He was on my lap whenever I was sitting down. We had our own special games that we played that involved taking out the trash, me putting on my socks, or taking them off. Pogo wanted to be with me all the time, and he was for fourteen years. I miss him so much. Even after those few years since he has been gone I think about him, especially when I do certain things that stimulated game time in Pogo’s mind.  

As much as I want another Maltese I have to agree with Sherri, we don’t need to get one. We travel too much, and we have too many thing we are doing now that keep us running here and there. Maybe when we get too old to be as active as we are now we can get another dog. I guess that sounds weird coming from a guy that is seventy years old. Oh well, for now anyway I guess I’ll have to be satisfied with good old Woody!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...