Sunday, January 20, 2019

When Life Knocks You Down

Matthew Henry, meditating on the theft of his wallet by a robber: “Let me be thankful, first, because he never robbed me before; second, because although he took my purse, he did not take my life; third, because although he took all I possessed, it was not much; and fourth, because it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed.

There were two friends who had become very close. They depended on each other for support, to encourage the one when the other one  was down, and to share life in the good times and the bad. One day one of the friends in anger verbally attacked his friend. He said some terrible things to his him and kicked him out of his house.

This happened to me years ago. I never knew what I did to cause my friend to do what he did. Many years later I got a letter of apology from my old friend. Although I was hurt I continued on my life’s journey with new friends and even after all these years no matter where I have lived God has given me new friends. I am thankful for the many friends that I have had and have to this very day. I am thankful for that old friend who told me to get out of his house, and for the good times we had. He was a neat guy,  and I’m sure he still is. Life brings disappointments, and hurts, and setbacks, and all kinds of things that may tear out hears out, but we can always move on with hope for the future, and look back with thankfulness to God for the good times. Rejoice and be glad always for God is good, and he cares for you. We can be thankful to Him every day for His abundant gifts and tender mercies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...