Sunday, March 10, 2019

Super Powers

I get out of the bed each morning, barely awake, I begin the same routine that I follow day after day: go to the bathroom, make the bed, find my Bible and journal, meander to the kitchen, get a cup of coffee, sit down in my recliner and most days I look across the room into the kitchen, and I see my glasses on the bar. Everything I have done up to this point has not been easy. All I have accomplished has been done gingerly because of a stiff back and usually some body part aching, while balancing a cup of coffee and trying my best not to spill any of it. Finally relaxed, I look at my glasses just a few feet away, and I wish that I had the power like Samantha on the old Bewitched show to wiggle my nose, which is one thing that usually doesn’t hurt, so that they would fly to me saving me the painful  effort of walking black to get them.

But I don’t have the power to cause things to fly around the room at my request. God did not give us that kind of power, but he did give us a power that is better than the make believe powers of the superheroes we see in the movies. When we begin an eternal relationship with Jesus Christ the Holy Spirit is given to us. He is a person who lives in us. The Holy Spirit gives us the power to do anything God the Father wants us to do. We are instructed to ask that we receive the filling of the Holy Spirit. In every area of our lives, even the small things, we need the power that comes from the filling, the presence, the anointing  of the Holy Spirit. The Apostle Paul said that we should pray without ceasing. It is in those never ceasing prayers that we stay connected with the Holy Spirit. Those prayers of petitioning the Holy Spirit for his filling and his power will keep us in God’s will and will make us more and more like Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...