Monday, April 22, 2019

Give Easter A Chance

Yesterday all over the world Christians celebrated Easter. Families gathered for lunch after worshiping the risen Lord, the conquering King, at their churches. They made pictures to post on Facebook, and they looked so nice in their new Easter clothes. Everyone had a great time doing whatever their family Easter tradition happened to be. For these, Resurrection Sunday was a glorious day.

Not all Christians spent Easter yesterday in such a manner. In Sri Lanka Christians gathered in their churches and lost their lives for doing so. Many of them were hurt badly and are now fighting for their lives. They did not enjoy Resurrection Sunday, but still many of them could rejoice because they found hope in the One who defeated death. They know that their loved ones who were murdered in that cowardly act are with Jesus.

And there were others who got out of their beds, and it never crossed their minds how the first Resurrection Sunday changed the world and could change their lives. Unfortunately, a lot of these people are Christians or claim to be. But Easter Sunday was just another day for them.

The last two paragraphs are very sad. Perhaps the last one is the most tragic. Yesterday we should have had our minds focused on a King, the one who is the King of kings, King Jesus. We are to worship him and him alone. There was a time when I worshiped another king. I worshiped king John Paul. Those who treat Easter Sunday like any other day are worshiping king who ever their name happens to be, King Sam, King John, King Mary, King Sally.

How did I worship king John Paul? I stopped going to church, and therefore I was not joining with other believers to worship King Jesus. I had been hurt unfairly by some of those believers. I was their pastor. They were wrong to hurt King John Paul. How dare them! I spent several years making excuses for not doing any of the things that would keep me close to the real King. I did not give King Jesus a Chance.

So, what about you? Do you give King Jesus a chance? Do you make excuses because you have been hurt? Do you worship with other believers? Do you stay home and miss hearing the word proclaimed and taught? Are you serving alongside members of the body of Christ?  Are you using your spiritual gifts for His glory. You say, “I can do all of those thing from my home!” No you can’t!

If that’s your excuse wait until you tell Jesus how badly you were hurt.  “Jesus I stopped going to church because some bad people hurt my feelings.” Will that be good enough?  He might say, "Was there not but one church body you could have attended?" He may may show you his scars. He might take you back to witness the cruel things that were done to him at Calvary. He might show you the pain, and suffering of thousands of Christians who sacrificed, and died and dedicated their lives to serve him, King Jesus.

Today King Jesus might tell you to ask Christians who regularly attend church and serve and worship and sacrifice with their time, their gifts, and their money, ask them, “Why are you doing this?” Their answer,  “Because I love my King, King Jesus. He loves me. He suffered more than I will ever know. He died for me. What else can I do? I cannot make any excuse for not giving my Lord, my King everything I have. No matter what happens to me I will always give King Jesus my all.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...