Thursday, May 16, 2019

What’s A Dog Thinking

He had finished his walk. As soon as my wife, Sherri, released him from his leash that diminutive 8 pound bundle of fur ran straight to my chair, jumped into my lap and began licking my face. I loved on him a few minutes,  and then he curled up in my lap and went to sleep. It had only been about thirty minutes since he had left, yet his response toward me was as though he had been gone for days. I wondered, “What is this dog thinking?”


Rosco has been a member of our family for six weeks. You might say he is a rescue dog. Rosco was a breed dog. The real pet in his previous family was the little female Yorke. Rosco didn’t get much attention, and it shows by the way he reacts to everything Sheri and I do for him. We treat him like a king. It’s nice having a sweet little dog like Rosco around after five years not having one. We are happy that our daughters insisted on getting Rosco for us. 

So what was Rosco thinking this morning? I think when he jumped into my lap he was saying, “I’m so glad to be with you again! I have missed you although I’ve only been gone a short time. I feel safe with you and I love you.” I may be wrong, but I like to think that Rosco was expressing something like that as he snuggled there in my lap. I believe dogs really love their masters.  

Now what am I thinking? I’m thinking that if a dog loves it’s master that much because of a kind word, a treat  and a pat on the head how much more should we love our Master? How quickly should we run to the One who loves us even though we fail him so often? Should we not be excite each morning to speak to our Savior and say, “I’m so glad to be with you again! I have missed you since I last spoke to you.  I feel safe when I am with you and I know you will never leave me. I love you, Jesus. Thank you for rescuing me and providing me with a forever home in your presence”


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...