Monday, March 15, 2021

A Short Elevator Ride

 A Short Ride on an Elevator

Some things are just meant to be. Sometimes God works in mysterious ways. We may entertain angels and not know it. Maybe you have had a heavenly experience, and you were left scratching your head because you could not put your finger on what had happened. . 

Yesterday I had a cardiologist appointment which was the reason we came home from Florida a week early. I got to the medical facility in plenty of time and cleared all the usual COVID security screening. I took my place in line to get on the elevator. Only three of us were allowed in the elevator at the same time. I got on with a young man and his mother. 

I usually try to speak to my elevator companions so I asked how everyone one was. The young man, probably 18 or 19 said, “I’ve been praying that I will get some good news today.” I replied, “That’s a good place to start.” He asked me how I was, and I told him that I thought I was doing well, but I would know more after I saw my cardiologist.” The mother said something, but I didn’t catch all of her statement. I did make out that she mentioned something about God. 

Her son asked me if I was retired. I told him that I was retired from both teaching and preaching. “So you were a pastor”, the lady asked. I answered, “Yes, I preached and pastored for over 40 years.” Immediately this sweet lady moved right up to me, placed her hand on my forehead and began praying. She prayed God’s blessings upon me and asked God to heal my heart.  I was surprised, but at the same time I was overwhelmed by the godly love I felt from this dear saint. I had chills running all over me. As she ended her prayer the elevator stopped at their floor. The young man wished God’s blessings on me, and his mother smiled and nodded. I said, “I’ll be praying for you”, and the door closed. 

I got off at the next floor and walked to my doctor's office. When I got there I realized that I had gone to the wrong office. I was at my eye, ear and throat doctors’ s office. Boy, did I feel stupid! There was no way I would make my cardiologist appointment. As you might imagine not only did I feel stupid, but I was very angry at myself for making such a mistake. I hurriedly marched to the parking structure, got my car and headed home. The things I was saying to myself were not at all uplifting. Then suddenly I thought about my short ride on that elevator with the boy and his mother. Maybe my mistake was meant to be!  Could my experience have been God working mysteriously in my life?  Were my two companions on that elevator actually angels?  All I can say for sure is that I was very blessed by those two, angels or not. Maybe my heart was healed! I don’t know, but I had certainly been in the glorious presence of my Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...