Monday, April 19, 2021

A Passing Shadow

 I was sitting in my recliner this morning when I noticed a shadow on the wall. The sun was shinning through the window at just the right angle to form an image of what looked like a person blowing on a cup of hot coffee. I say it was hot because I had just turned off the fireplace. This caused a vapor to rise above the shadow of my imagined cup giving the appearance of steam coming out of it. The person’s face was formed by the shadow of the corner of the mantle and the cup from a candle sitting on a candle stand that sits in front of the fireplace. 

I had Sherri look at what I was seeing, but I don’t think she was as impressed as I was. Maybe she didn’t see what I thought I was seeing. I frequently see images like the one I described. I guess the images I see are something like looking at those white fluffy clouds and watching them form into the appearance of animals. Whether anyone else agrees with what we are imagining or not the one truth on which  all of us can agree is that a shadow on a wall forming an image of a person with a cup of coffee or a cloud that looks like an animal racing across the sky is quickly gone. We see those images for only a moment. 

So it is with our lives. We are born and even if we live for one hundred years our existence on this earth vanishes quickly. The scripture says that our lives are like a mist, withering grass, smoke, a mere breath, a fading flower and a passing shadow. We don’t have a lot of time, but we have enough time to accomplish what God put us here to accomplish. 

Our time on earth will not be wasted if we know Him as eternal God who has no beginning or no end, and that our existence is all about him, not us. He loves us and he wants to bring us out of the kingdom of darkness into his kingdom, the kingdom of light. The kingdom of darkness is the world system and is ruled by Satan. We enter into the kingdom of God only if we accept his Son, Jesus Christ, as our savior. As brief as our lives are, like a shadow on my wall, Jesus has given us exactly enough time to trust in him. We have enough time for him to save us from our sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...