Monday, November 28, 2022

How To Handle Worry

 Jesus said that we should not worry, (Matthew 6:25) 

There are many verses in the Bible about not worrying. I’ve read most if not all of these verses, yet I still worry. I think much of what we worry about is brought on by fear. Guess what? The Scriptures also tell us not to fear. But there are many people, Christians included, that are fearful. How often have we said, “I am afraid that…”. , you finish the sentence. When we are afraid we worry. Fear breeds worry, worry causes stress.

Many years ago when I was in seminary, Sherri, my wife, had to have a hysterectomy. The doctor told us that she might have cancer. Both of us were very much afraid. Both of us worried a lot. Sherri was only thirty four, one daughter was in the sixth grade and the other daughter was in the second grade, and we were eight hundred miles away from family. We were afraid. We were so afraid that nothing else that we had previously worried about mattered. The possibility that Sherri could have cancer, and if she did she might die made the other things we had worried about seem insignificant. 

Most every one has experienced some extremely serious things that have caused you to be fearful, and you were so upset that you couldn’t think about anything else. It’s the big things that shake us and cause us much anxiety. 

Lately Sherri and I have had some of those big things that have caused much stress, sadness and fear. My brother’s granddaughter, Miriam, recently tragically died.  I love my brother and his wife Lisa. I love my niece, Amanda, Miriam’s mother, and we loved Miriam. I hurt for these I love so much. Our daughter who lives in Kentucky is currently going through one of those big, frightening things. Sherri and I have worried because we love her. We have prayed for her, our granddaughter and her our daughter’s husband. Every thing seems to be working out right now, and for that we are very thankful. 

Sherri and I have been under much stress the last few weeks, but we have been comforted by the One who said, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid,” (John 14:27 ). What are you worried about? What has been churning in your heart tearing you to pieces? What is causing you to be afraid? What do you think Jesus would tell you if you asked him for his advice? Would you be willing to do what he tells you to do?

I have to remind myself that God has always taken care of me when I faced the big stuff. Therefore I must trust him in all the things that cause me to fear and worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...