Thursday, April 20, 2023

Judging of the Brethren

 Judging of the Brethren

That large bowl of mashed potatoes had been placed right between us by our mother. As always my brother and I each wanted to be first to get a helping of those creamy spuds. Our daddy told us to bow our heads as he offered thanks. But that day neither Mike nor I were thinking about the lunch time blessing. I didn’t trust my fat little brother when he was within arms reach of the mashed potatoes. Daddy was still praying, but I could wait no longer. I opened my eyes, glanced over at Mike and that little goofball already had his hand on the mashed potato spoon. Realizing how irreverent that was I yelled,”Get your hands off that spoon you little cheat!” I’m not sure exactly what I said, but it was something to try to get Mike in trouble.

I thought Mike’s transgression needed immediate attention. A hand on the mashed potato spoon during prayer was not only a sin, but it was far from being appropriate when people are getting ready to eat. For some reason my dad did not think that my outburst was a proper way of handling the situation especially while he was praying. Not much was said about Mike’s chubby fingers grasping the serving spoon. I had not convinced daddy that I had saved my little brother from God’s wrath. Actually I had been  more interested in my daddy’s wrath for my brother.

Both of us were punished. I have forgotten what daddy did to us, but my punishment was much worse than Mike’s. I do remember though, that neither of us got any mashed potatoes that day. 

Sometimes that incident comes to mind when I read what Jesus taught in Matthew 7:1-5. This Scripture has to do with judging other people. The words of Jesus: “Do not judge, or you too will be judged…Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. I will let the word of God speak for itself.

I do think if church members would do as Jesus says about judging others there would be enough lumber lying around outside  to build a large addition onto  the church building.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...