Sunday, September 17, 2017

Victor Earl and His Shoe Shine Ministry



On a recent trip to New Bern North Carolina Sherri and I met some interesting people. Talking to the people in these little towns is what makes our little one or two day adventures fun. We met a man who owns an old time hardware store. Sherri, particularly, enjoyed this old store since her dad owned one very similar to it. We went back the next day because I needed one AAA battery. Since I only needed the one battery the man just gave it to me.

We met a woman who worked on her father’s shrimp boat back in the 1950’s. We talked to a couple who had flown down from Michigan to attend a wedding only to find out that the wedding had been called off. They were disappointed, but were enjoying a couple of days in the lovely little town of New Bern. But the most memorable person we met was Victor Earl, the shoe shine man. Victor was one of those characters who cannot be made up. We learned that he was quite the salesman, or maybe Sherri and I are quite the suckers.

We had left the hardware store, and were on our way back to the bed and breakfast where we were staying. Our journey took us back through the main part of town. I had stopped  to take some pictures of the large trees with spanish moss hanging low from the limbs. “Where are you folks from?”, inquired a little man who was sitting on one of the benches near a large water fountain. It was Victor. We told him where we lived, and he started talking about his shoe shine ministry. I felt that we were safe from being talked into getting our shoes shined because both Sherri and I were wearing tennis shoes. Nobody has their tennis shoes shined, I thought.

Victor had already determined that the new running shoes I was wearing were in good shape. He looked at Sherri with that big smile of his, voice dripping with honey, and said, “Ma'am, have a seat, and let me show you something you can take with you back to Raleigh!” Of course, Sherri sat down on the little stool that Victor had already adjusted for her. He said, “I'm going to make your shoe look like new. I'm going to waterproof it, and give it new life. You will be able to wear it for years.” I wanted to see how this little man was going to shine that tennis shoe. This would be worth whatever he was going to try and get from me.

Victor sprayed something on the shoe, took his brush and began brushing lightly. As he continued to work he started talking about how Jesus washed the feet of his disciples, and he hinted that Jesus may have washed almost everybody's feet, kind of the same thing he did every day shining shoes. “Jesus washed feet because the people didn't wear shoes back then. He gave lost people new life.” Victor’s premise was that in the same way he gave new life to shoes that people wore these days. Somehow it almost made sense, but I wasn't falling for his theology.

Victor finished Sherri’s shoe. His work was remarkable. That two year old shoe looked brand new, but the other shoe didn't match. Sherri said, “I'll have to get you to do the other one. I can't wear them like this. Victor told her to put the other foot on the rest so that he could begin working on it. Then he says, “I charge $15, and if you want to give me a tip I would appreciate it,” smiling like he could hear the angels rejoicing over the revived souls of a pair of tennis shoes.

As he worked on the second shoe Victor asked me what I did. I told him I was a retired Baptist pastor. He said, “I sing gospel music. You want to hear me sing?” Sherri spoke, “I would love to hear you sing.” Victor began singing about giving his all to Jesus. I had never heard the song. It was nice, and Victor had a very good voice. He gestured with his free hand as he sang.  When he finished he started singing “Here I am to worship, Here I am to bow down…” and Sherri joined in, the two of them singing praises to God. People were walking by, but Sherri and Victor just kept on singing…”Here I am to say that you're my God.” They actually sounded pretty good.



Just before Victor finished the second shoe he started again telling about how his shoe shine ministry was like what Jesus did when he washed the disciples feet. I interrupted and said, “Victor, there is one problem with your theology, Jesus didn't charge $15 to wash a pair of feet.” Victor started laughing, “You got me there pastor, you got me there.”

Sherri and I got ready  to leave. I handed Victor a twenty dollar bill and told him to keep the change. “Victor, I've enjoyed talking to you. I'm going to pray that God will use you in your ministry wherever you go. God has blessed you and he can use you.” Victor said, “Pray for me now.” He stretch out his hands, I took them in mine,  and I prayed for him, his family and his ministry.

I really believe that Victor loves Jesus, and that he loves people. He is a very pleasant gentleman. God can use him as he shines shoes. His theology may be a little off, but I believe his heart is right. I'm glad Sherri and I met Victor, even if it did cost me $20 for shining a pair of old tennis shoes. I hope I see Victor the next time we go to New Bern.

2 comments:

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...