Saturday, October 21, 2017

Burned Toast Is Not That Bad

When I was growing up on Brady’s Stretch my mom fixed me fried eggs over easy, bacon, and toast buttered and toasted in the oven for breakfast every morning.  I thought that was what everybody ate for breakfast. Unfortunately, my mom spoiled me. So when I got married I expected  the eggs to be runny, the bacon crisp, and the toast buttered and toasted in the oven. I also liked strawberry preserves.

My wife, Sherri, didn’t seem to mind fixing fried eggs over easy, crisp bacon, and toast buttered and toasted in the oven. She likes that as well, except for the over easy eggs. She likes hers scrambled hard. Occasionally, Sherri would let the toast get a little over done. When that happened she would just make more toast. There was a time in our marriage when those occasions happened a bit too frequently as far as I was concerned. That’s when I learned a hard lesson by making a big mistake.
We
I don’t remember exactly what I said. Sherri probably could tell what I said if anyone wanted to know. Maybe I said something like, “My mom never burned my toast.” Or maybe I said,  “I believe I can make toast better than that.” I remember I made some statement similar to these two. Anyway I do remember what Sherri said. She said, “Well, John Paul Brady, you can just start making your own breakfast from now on if you don’t like the way I do it!”

The lovely breakfast setting you see in the accompanying photo is evidence of many breakfasts I have prepared over many, many years. When she asks, I even fix breakfast for my dear, sweet wife. A word to the wise, be careful what you say about burned toast.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...