Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Does God Arrange Our Meetings

Those who know me know how shy I am. For me to simply go up to a stranger and start a conversation is very unlikely. But on our recent visit to Ft. Worth Texas I did exactly that. The Stinson’s, Sherri and I were at Sundance Square in downtown Ft. Worth. We were trying to find a place to get some coffee and something sweet to eat.


David, Christi, and Sherri were looking at one of those large maps posted in the square. I was standing off to myself just watching the people traffic when I noticed a young policeman. He too was watching the pedestrian traffic, but for a different reason than me. A group of tourist passed by on Segways. After he watched them go by I walked over to him and said, “That’s what you need for patrolling this area.” He replied, “We’ve got some of them, but I use a bicycle. It’s a lot better for what I do.” I mentioned how much the downtown had changed since I lived there in the 1980’s. We hadn’t talked very long before I realized he was a Believer. In fact, he had just finished seminary at Southwestern, the same seminary I attended.

His name is Mark. Mark and I had much more in common. He wants to be a pastor, and is now serving in a small church plant in Ft. Worth. He doesn’t get paid at the church, so besides working as a policeman he does security work for the Bass Brothers Corporation. He works in the same buildings I worked in when I was employed in the Bass mailroom. As we continued to talk I found out that before moving to Ft. Worth he had lived in a small town outside of Raleigh not too far from where I live. He had married a girl from South Carolina, and she worked in the Raleigh area. Finally, Mark and I discovered that we both grew up in Kentucky. He was from Barboursville.

I am always excited to meet someone from Kentucky. Even if they don’t live close to my hometown of Russellville, I feel like I’ve met somebody from home. Mark seemed excited when I told him where I was from. I don’t know, but I think my meeting with my new policeman friend was encouraging to him. He asked me what I was doing in retirement. I said, “I guess you can call me a writer.” I mentioned my blog, and told him about my book. He wanted to know the name of my book, and said he would like to look it up. I got his address so that I could send him a copy which I did this morning. Maybe my book will help him in some way as he is beginning his ministry.

I enjoyed meeting and talking to Mark. I don’t know for sure, but somehow I think God planned that little meeting between one old Kentuckian and one young Kentuckian. I will probably never see Mark again in this world, but when I see him in heaven we will have something to talk about, and maybe I will learn why God wanted us to meet at Sundance Square in Ft. Worth Texas.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful this is! It always takes me back a little bit to realize the Creator of Everything cares if we are encouraged or not. Wow!

    ReplyDelete

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...