Thursday, November 2, 2017

How Awesome Is Our God

Sometimes we find ourselves in situations where we have no idea or sense of what is going on. There is such a lack of understanding that being able to grasp the point of what is being done or said is impossible. For instance, I am in the choir at our church. We have been working on our Christmas music since mid August. I have a pretty fair voice, but I don’t read music, and I don’t understand most of the terminology used by our director. Even after all of the rehearsals I still get lost, many times not even knowing what page we are singing. The director will tell us to write something at some place on our music, and I just sit there looking around as everyone else is doing what he said. At those times I’m thinking I shouldn't have joined the choir.

I think this may be the case for many people when it comes to their relationship with God. How awkward it must be for someone who has never been to church to try to take part in a regular worship service. How much sense could the Bible make to someone who knows absolutely nothing about God's Word. New Christians must be greatly intimidated as they begin trying to learn a new way of living. When they read or are told that they are supposed to “Be Holy like God” I imagine they wonder what in the world does that mean.

I have been studying the Bible, writing sermons, preaching sermons, and pretty much devoting my life to learning all I can about God for at least 50 years. The more I learn it seems the less I know about the holiness of God. I know that He is awesome, and wonderfully beyond anything a human mind can even begin to imagine. I know something about his love, his character, his nature, and his power, but what I know about God’s holiness is but a grain of sand on one of the beaches that he created.

As Christians we have the living triune God in us in the person of the Holy Spirit. When we are confused about the terminology of Christian living we should remember that he is the conductor of our lives. He is our way, our truth and life living in us. When we don’t understand he will write on our hearts his perfect truth and will so that we don’t feel lost or out of place. He will keep us in tune, on pitch and on the right page as we seek God’s holiness.


1 comment:

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...