Thursday, November 30, 2017

How Churches Are Like Lemons

When I went to Sunday school as a kid I was graded every Sunday. I was also graded in what was called Training Union on Sunday nights. Each of us had to fill out a checklist indicating if we brought our Bible, read our lesson, did our daily Bible readings, brought an offering and a couple other requirements. Each item was worth points that when added up totaled 100% if all were checked. Sometimes we were divided into groups and after several weeks the group with the highest total won. I rarely was able to check off every item, and was usually one who brought my groups score down. Obviously, I was given a hard time for not doing better. I dreaded having to fill those dumb checklists out, and I hated them. I had problems with grades in school, and it was the same thing in church.

Something like that, I figure, soured many a youngster's hearts toward church. Don’t get me wrong, I love church, but churches do some dumb things that drive people away. I have served in churches all my life. I served in an association of about 73 churches, and I saw things happen in churches that made me shutter. I won’t go into any of those faux pas that pastors, deacons, elders and other church leaders and members committed, but it was no wonder that people left those churches. My parents made me go to church and endure those checklists, but adults don’t have to put up with those kinds of unnecessary mistakes, and I might add unfriendliness.

I have been a Southern Missionary Baptist all my life. Unfortunately, our denomination continues to do things that are causing members to leave. Many churches in our denomination continue to not make it easy for other races to attend and become part of the local church body. I think a large number of our churches have a very unloving attitude toward certain people that commit certain sins that we think are worse than others, and therefore, those people are not welcome. There is still too much politics in our churches, especially the smaller ones. I have pastored a couple of churches where a family or a deacon body controlled every decision made. I’m sure I made a lot of mistakes, but I made them honestly, not with hate or a desire to hurt someone.

My experience as a pastor has helped me see many of the things that drive people away. I learned not to put pressure on people. Some people leave church because they are worn out from doing too much. I used to do things because I felt I had to, was obligated or somehow made to feel like if I didn’t God would not be pleased.  Now I only do what I feel led to do. I don’t let anybody shame me into doing something, and neither should you. If someone does that they are dead wrong. I’m involved in about three ministries at our church, and I feel good about that. Sherri and I are committed to two nights, and we go Sunday for worship, choir and Sunday school. And Sherri and I help with a ministry to the elderly at a nursing home Alzheimer’s unit. We are just old, not elderly. I love my church because it is a place I can serve and feel good about serving. I love the people and our new friends. My church is a great place to worship our God. It’s not a perfect church. I see somethings I don’t like, but not many. So far I haven’t found any sour lemons that will drive me away.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you never do find the pucker power in your new church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn that’s a great point. Wish I had thought of that.

    ReplyDelete

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...