Saturday, November 4, 2017

Watch Where You Walk in the Darkness

A few nights ago, at around 3:30, I got up to go to the bathroom. As I was coming back to bed I ran smack dab into someone. It scared me to death. What I didn’t know was that Sherri had also gotten up, and had gone to one of the guest bathrooms. She was coming back to bed also, and we ran into each other. Our timing wasn’t very good.

Darkness has long been the source and cause of many of our fears. Some of you when you were little,  like me, were probably scared of the dark and wanted to keep the lights on when you went to bed. Even when I was a teen my dad would sometimes send me to the barn to check on a cow or calf before I went to bed. There is no darkness like the darkness in the country. The wind blowing tree limbs over the tin roof on the barn is a frightening sound when you are by yourself in the pitch blackness of night.

More evil occurs at night than in the daylight. Cowardly acts are done in the shadows of darkness. The Bible says, “And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.” John 3:19.  The light that has come into the world is Jesus. He came to bring people out of darkness. Jesus can turn darkness into light, evil into good.

It is sad that there are so many people who love darkness. That people are committed to a life of evil is tragic. If they don’t change the darkness will be their worst nightmare. They will get hurt and never recover. Neither Sherri nor I got hurt when we were wandering around in the darkness the other night, but we sure did scare each other. But of course we were not intending to do evil. We just needed to go to the bathroom.

Don't forget to set your clocks back as Daylight Savings Time is over until spring. O boy, just what we need, more darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...