Monday, January 8, 2018

Pork Chop

One thing that I have noticed as I get older is how young people, most often, fail to understand when you are joking with them. They take everything literally. I love to watch the reactions of waitresses when I have the opportunity to mess with them in that way.

Yesterday Sherri, Clay, Susan, Holly and I ate at Texas Road House after church. Now that Brady is driving he never joins us for Sunday lunch. The waitress took our order and Sherri ordered a pork chop. We all ordered and sat eating peanuts while we waited. Finally, a young girl, not the one who was our waitress, came with our food. I’ve never understood how those girls can carry all that food without spilling it every where. Anyway she looked directly at Sherri and said, “Pork chop?” Sherri replied, “Yes!” Anyone who knows Sherri can understand how gracious and excited her response was.

I don’t know why I have the thoughts I do, and I don’t know why I vocalize them for others to hear, but I said to the girl without thinking, “How did you know? That is her nickname! We call her Pork Chop!”

The young lady had the funniest look on her face. She didn’t know if she should laugh, or if she should respond with some kind of compliment. I think she thought I was serious. Susan  couldn’t quit laughing, Sherri was embarrassed, Clay thought it was funny, and of course Holly did not laugh. “That’s not funny”,  was her response. I love it when I can embarrass Holly. The confused girl quickly distributed our food and left to be seen no more at our table.

My cat fish wasn’t  very good and neither were the fries. Maybe I had eaten too many peanuts. But I enjoyed our time at the restaurant. We finished and old Pork Chop and I went home. I was thinking about my cat fish. I knew a baseball player named Cat Fish.  That might be a good name for me. People could say, “Here come Pork Chop and Cat Fish!” Naw, Sherri wouldn’t like that at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...