Sunday, January 28, 2018

The Greatest Detective

I enjoy the “who done it” shows. The CSI shows are my favorites. Isn’t it amazing how they can solve a case in less than an hour? They always figure out who committed the crime. Usually one of the stars on these shows finds himself staring death in the eyes. I wonder how he will get out of this one! And of course he survives. He has  to because there are several episodes left in the season and “the show must go on”. The stars never die unless they don’t intend to come back for the next season. There is always someone who, through their detective work, figures out who done it. Doing detective work in real life has to be hard,  although I'm sure very exciting.

A good detective would most likely be able to figure out a lot about each of us. Not anything bad, of course, but I mean the average things we do each day. I was thinking as I looked around my den how much incriminating evidence a detective could find about me as far as what I do in a week’s time, that is if I don’t dust, vacuum, and straighten up. Right now I need to do all of those things. It wouldn’t take a very smart detective to know that I eat Cheerios, popcorn, drink coffee (I am a pro at spilling coffee), and eat sandwiches and crackers, probably with peanut butter. The evidence is on the floor around my chair, on the table beside my chair and in the chair itself. A few photos would convince any jury that I’m guilty. But how much time would a guy have to serve for being a messy eater?

Other evidence concerning what I do would be note tablets, a computer, two I Pads, a big Bible, a diary, ink pens, a sharpie or two, highlighters, a magnifying glass, and three pair of reading glasses. I usually have several books lying on the floor around my chair some of them with peanut butter on them of course.  There are also random ink marks all over my leather recliner. I drop my pens in my chair and don’t realize it. My movement causes the renegade, open pen to scribble those unwanted marks all over where I’m sitting. A detective would conclude that I am a reader, a writer and probably retired on a teacher’s pension.  I imagine if a detective looked around the area where you spend a great deal of time he or she could tell a lot about you. Ladies we won’t mention your car, kitchen drawers, or bath room drawers, and certainly not, Lord help us, your purse.

The way we live says very much about us. How we treat others, how we handle adversity, how we dress, our speech, what we post on social media, what we do in our spare time, and a number of other positions which we hold in life that define us. What positive, wholesome evidence would you like to be found about you? It would probably be good if every once in a while each of us did some honest, soul searching detective work on ourselves. If there are found to be some unsatisfactory, incriminating life marks then it is not too late to ask the Greatest Detective ever to blot them out giving us a reprieve to start a new.  I really hope that being a messy eater doesn’t go against me because I’m thinking that’s one thing that will only get worse as I get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...