Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Trees

There was a pond hidden away amongst a brigade of large oak trees. One majestic oak stood higher and stronger than all the others. Thick green moss lay beneath him on a knoll which appeared as his throne. This was my favorite place, my retreat. Even a ten year old boy needs a place of solitude where he can go and do anything he wants. I spent hours lying on that rich green carpet  pretending and thinking. I believe it was at this sacred place where I first heard from God.

This mighty oak dropped huge acorns that I hurled at frogs and turtles in our pond, as I relived those World War II scenes I had watched in the movies. My grand  oak tree and his subjects were the playground for squirrels that I hunted in our woods. The tress were a sanctuary for all sorts of birds. They were also a Jungle Gym for boys like myself. The oaks limbs ascended like stair steps higher and higher daring my friends and me to climb further than the other. We climbed carefully and many time higher than we should have not wishing to be labeled a sissy by another less wise. We surprised ourselves many times at the heights we reached, not realizing that someday we would be challenged as adults to climb higher than we ever imagined we could climb, for reasons much more vital and so much more important.

Everyday God puts trees in our path and he says, "Climb, climb as high as you can go!"  We can climb with confidence not fearing the dark clouds that descend upon us, nor backing down when we have a hard nut to crack. We can achieve any goal that God wants us to accomplish. Like the majestic oaks and the tough hickory trees, we must focus our eyes on God, lifting our arms to pray, always thanking him for the simple blessings that cost us nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...