Tuesday, March 20, 2018

A Taste of God

Most of my life I have been a finicky eater. I have been pretty much a meat and potatoes guy. As I have gotten older I have learned to try and enjoy more foods that are better for me. However, there is one food that I will never be able to eat. I hate raw onions. Raw onions make me gag. I can eat them if they are cooked, but if you try to slip a raw onion in on me I will gag. Most people love onions anyway they are presented, and wonder why someone like me detests them. People have different tastes. My mother used to tell me to just taste something that I refused  to eat. She would say, "Just taste it. You will like it." But I would shake my head and put my hands over my mouth.

The Psalmist challenged his readers to a taste test in Psalm 34: 8. He said,"Taste the Lord and see that He is good." Here is a challenge that almost everyone would accept. Who wouldn't savor the delicious taste of The Lord? Right? Maybe not! There are many people whose spiritual taste buds have been distorted by the world. Many have eaten from the pleasures of the world and tasted the sinful fruits of society to such an extent that these tastes are what they desire. They have enjoyed the tastes of the world for so long that the Lord is distasteful to them. Like a child who refuses to try something new, when someone offers them an opportunity to experience Jesus they place their hands over their mouths and shake their heads. How unfortunate it is that individuals would refuse the savory taste of God. Offered to each of us is a never ending delicious Feast. Those who will not eat what the Lord provides will never see heaven. They prefer worldly pleasures and the glamorous opportunities that they think will make them successful.

We must desire Jesus more that anything the world offers. John Piper said, "Esteeming God less than anything is the essence of evil." Even Christians must be careful for we can become guilty of promoting evil when we allow the things of the world to come before God. Taste the Lord. Fill yourselves with His goodness. Receive his everlasting nourishment so that you will grow in the Spirit and bring glory to the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...