Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Thank You Jesus



I have noticed several signs in yards around our neighborhood that say. “Thank You Jesus.” When I saw my first one my thought was that the people living there must have had a baby. I wondered if possibly someone at that house had recovered from a terrible illness. Whatever the reason I was pleased that someone was giving Jesus the credit for their good fortune.

As the weeks went by I began noticing more of these bright yellow signs which are just a little smaller than the campaign signs we see littering yards. I finally noticed that all of the signs are placed so that the homeowners see them the first thing as they pull into their driveways. Then I understood that the message “Thank You Jesus” on the signs is not because of a baby or healing from a disease, but to remind the homeowner that Jesus is the Lord and provider for all things great and small. Maybe as they drive into their home they thank Jesus for getting them home safely, or for their car, or their house. Maybe a parent sees their children playing in the yard, and they are reminded that children are gifts from Jesus.

I like this idea. Sometimes when we have had a bad day we need to be reminded to thank Jesus. I was thinking the other day when I was walking past a house with one of these signs what a witness it was for the child I saw who was walking up the drive from school. Mom and dad were teaching him, maybe without even knowing it, that they trust Jesus to provide for the family, and that they are thankful. I doubt if that child will ever forget seeing that sign every day when he came home from school. What can you thank Jesus for as you drive up to your house each day?

These signs reminded me of a scripture passage I read the other day. I am afraid that parents today are not following this advice very well. I will close with Deuteronomy 6:4-9

Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. “These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. “You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. “You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. “You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...