Friday, April 6, 2018

Pastor Avoids Arrest

Once in the late 1980s I made a huge mistake, one that could have gotten me time in the hoosegow. My arrest would have been big news because I was the pastor at a church in Glendale Kentucky. There was a meeting in Louisville that I was scheduled to attend, and I was running late. A stomach bug had kept me awake the night before, a storm had knocked out the power, and I had overslept because the alarm hadn't gone off. I hurriedly got ready and rushed out of the house for my forty-five minute drive to Louisville. Being an insulin dependent diabetic I knew I had better stop somewhere and eat, so I stopped at a Cracker Barrel. After I had eaten my breakfast I rushed to pay for my meal.

Unfortunately, that stomach bug began doing his thing, and I had to go to the bathroom. I paid my bill, and headed to the bathroom.  While stuffing the change in my wallet I literally ran to the bathroom. As I was sitting in the stall I happened to notice how nice this bathroom was. I had never seen such a fine restroom in any Cracker Barrel. About that time someone entered restroom, and the sound I heard terrified me. Click, click, click, high heels! I panicked realizing that I had unknowingly gone into the ladies restroom. The clicking sound stopped in the stall next to the one I occupied. Making matters worse another lady came in and went into the stall on the other side of me.

What a predicament, sitting in the john between two women!  I didn't move or make a sound. There I was in enemy territory, behind the lines. ‘What if I am discovered? What if one or both of these women start screaming?’, I thought. I could see my mugshot on the evening news. I could see the headlines in newspapers all over the state. “Pastor Apprehended in Ladies Restroom!”

I had to do something; devise a plan of escape. Finally, I calmed down enough to do the only thing I could do, wait, wait until both of those ladies left and pray that no one else came in. I bet not many men have prayed that prayer. So I waited, prepared to bolt out of that stall as soon as the the last lady left. I listened. The first lady finished and clicked her way out of the restroom. Then the second lady left. I had my chance and quickly retreated to the safety of neutral territory. My  prayer had been answered, and I had escaped without being detected. I was relieved in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...