Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Decisions: We Make a Lot of Them

God gave us the freedom to make our own decisions. Good or bad we decide what we are going to do. If asked what do you do most often, I think you would all have to say, “I make decisions more than anything else.” I wonder how many decisions a person makes each day? I guess most of the decisions we make are the same ones we make everyday, and we don’t have to think much about it. I get up in the morning and decide to go to the bathroom, I go down stairs and get a cup of coffee, and then go out and feed the birds. Since it is warmer I sit down on my patio and read my Bible, take some notes, post my blog, pray, and then decide what I will eat for breakfast. It’s pretty much the same thing every morning. Those are easy decisions. The tough ones are the most agonizing ones to make.

Having to make a difficult decision is when I wish God would just make it for me; no free will when it comes to the tough decisions! The hard choices are the ones that throw me for a loop. I think back to many hard decisions I’ve had to make, and I figure I must be the king of making wrong decisions. There is so much to think about when making those very important decisions. When our decisions involve others the pressure to do the right thing grows. Decisions can make or break a career. A teens decision about how they drive can become a life or death choice. A husband’s poor decision can destroy a marriage, a home. A student’s decisions often may be this difference between her success or failure in life.  Some decisions we must make cause sleepless nights, stress, and until we decide what to do we just aren’t ourselves.

We sold our house yesterday. Now we must make a decision on buying another place. This will probably be our last home. There are so many things to consider. What can we afford that will be comfortable, that will meet our needs as we get older, be in a convenient location, accommodate our belongings without being too crowded, and a place that will be reasonably close to our church. We know we will have to get rid of a lot of our things. It will be hard to do. I’m freaking out about this. But I shouldn’t be! God doesn’t leave us alone when we make the tough decisions. He will guide us through. His Holy Spirit will help us to make the right choices. God will give us everything we need to be obedient to his will. 

One decision I’m certain was the right one was when I received Jesus as my Savior. House hunting is a reminder to me that Jesus has already prepared a home for me that will last forever. It’s paid for, exactly what I need, in the perfect location, and the church will be everywhere I look.

Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! Psalm 27:14

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5-6



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...