Thursday, September 13, 2018

Something to Hide

Our pastor has challenged the church to memorize a Bible verse every week. A list with the verse we are to memorize each week  has been provided. So everyone that accepts this challenge will be trying to learn the same verse. I remember when I was a kid, going to Vacation Bible School, having to memorize scripture. We were given cards with 5 verses on each card to memorize, and there were about 4 cards if I am correct. I didn’t like doing it, but I did. I still remember a lot of those verses.




Memorizing scripture is a good thing to do. David said in Psalm 119:7, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” We need all the help we can get to not sin. Jesus quoted scripture to Satan when he was being tempted by that deceiver. Scripture is a powerful tool not only when we are being tempted, but also when we are going through tough experiences. The word of God gives up hope, encouragement, strength, power, and it brings us into the presence of our Father. It pleases God when we speak of his wonderful attributes, and tell him that we know the promises that he has made to us. Praying the scripture is powerful.

The first verse that we have been asked to memorize is 1 John 5:11-12. Actually that is two verses, but they go together. “And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; Whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.” This is an easy one to memorize. It didn’t take me long to get it in this old thick brain of mine. People as old as me will say, “I’m too old to memorize scripture!” That’s just an excuse to not do something just because you don’t want to take the time to do it. I’ll admit that we seniors probably can’t memorize things as quickly as we could when we were teens, but can still do it. It is good for us to challenge our minds and keep them working. Remember, “If you don’t use it, you lose it.” Nobody want to lose their mind! Give it a try and prove to yourself that you can do it. You will be proud that you did, and it will also please God.

I’ll give you another verse to memorize next week, if I don’t forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...