Friday, October 12, 2018

“Chick fil a” Is Closing Today

History does repeat itself. One early morning in 1988 at a Cracker Barrel the first personal historic event occurred, and on October 10, 2018, 30 years later in a time much less forgiving, this unfortunate faux pas happened for the second time, but at a “Chick fil a”. Sherri and I had stopped by a “Chick fil a” near our church before choir practice this past Wednesday evening to grab a bite. I thought it unusual that the restaurant was not crowded. We had no problem getting a table. After we had finished eating Sherri got up and went to the restroom, and I cleaned off our table. For once we were not rushed and had plenty of time to get to choir practice so I decided that I might as well go to the restroom myself. Now here is where the historic event of my life played its ugly tune again.

I think we had eaten at this particular  “Chick fil a” only one other time. Anyway, I had never gone into the restroom there. Sherri and I have eaten in “Chick fil a’s” all over the country; from Wake Forest to California, from Ohio to Florida, up and down the east coast and all over New England, and I can assure you that the men’s restroom in everyone of those restaurants has always been on the left. Wednesday night I made my way toward the area where the men’s and women’s restrooms were located, turned left and walked into what I thought was the men's restroom. I will admit that it looked different, but thought nothing of it. The difference was that the only place to use the restroom was in one of two stalls, the third one was occupied. I did think it was neat that there were three stalls in a men's restroom instead of just one.

While I was in my stall I coughed a couple of times. When I finished I flushed the toilet, opened my door and walked out to see Sherri standing in front of the door going back out into the restaurant. You can imagine how surprised I was to see my wife standing in the men’s restroom. “What are you doing in here!” I questioned in my most shocked voice. “This is the women’s restroom! I knew that you were in here when I heard you cough. I’m standing here to head off any woman who might try to come in.” Thank goodness that Sherri was the one in that other stall! This mistake could have gone terribly bad especially in these times.

History repeating itself? I did the same thing at a Cracker Barrel 30 years ago. Sherri wasn’t with me that day, but I did manage to get out undetected despite the fact that on that morning I was flanked by a woman in the stalls on both sides of me. I don’t have time to tell about that experience. In my defense concerning the mistake I made Wednesday night, the men’s restroom at “Chick fil a” is always on the left.  

I am not the reason that this “Chick fil a” is closing today, although I’m thinking that many men who frequently eat at the thousands of normal “ Chick fil a’s” all over the country have done the same thing I did when eating at this one in Raleigh. They are closing for a month to remodel their facility. I sure do hope they put the men’s john on the left where it belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...