Thursday, May 9, 2019

Our Second Mothers

Lewisburg Kentucky was a nice little southern rural community. There were some small grocery stores, a hardware store, a bank, a drug store, a gas station or two, a doctor’s office and a school, home of the Coon Rangers which housed grades one through twelve. And there were about four churches—Presbyterian, Methodist, Church of Christ and Baptist.

Lewisburg was my town although I lived on a farm eight miles away. I spent twenty four years in Lewisburg school. Twelve of those years was as a Jr. High teacher. I also attended the Baptist Church, Mt Pleasant. I was saved in that church and was taught about Jesus by some wonderful men and women.

My friends and I called the ladies who taught us at Mt. Pleasant Miss, whatever her first name was—Miss Pauline, Miss Hattie Ruth, Miss Virginia, and my friends called my mother Miss Louise. I mention these dear women because they were the mothers of my childhood friends. We played baseball together in little league, pony league, and high school. There was also Miss Mary Alice who didn’t go to our church, but her boys played ball with us and were our friends.

Another reason I mention these ladies is because all of them were our second mothers. They loved us, their  boys, encouraged us and took care of us when we needed help. They weren’t afraid to discipline any of us when we needed to be corrected. The funny thing about our second moms is that they had our little brothers at about the same time.

As I wrote these names, Miss Pauline Kees, Miss Hattie Ruth Shelton, Miss Virginia Sheffield, Miss Mary Alice Kees, along with my mother, Miss Louise, I became that little boy again who played baseball on those hot summer days. I can almost hear them yelling words of encouragement, “Come on Gary, come on Stanley, come on John Steve, come on Guy Lewis, come on John Paul, hit that ball!  Come on boys you can do it!” Every game they were there supporting us. They were proud of us win or lose, our moms, our second mothers. Sad for me tonight as I type these words. Our moms are gone, all of them except Miss Hattie Ruth. Only she remains. So I say to her and all of our dear mothers in heaven, Happy Mothers Day! I love you all!

I wish Miss Hattie Ruth could know that that many like me consider her a Second Mother and wish her a very Happy Mother’s Day. Her love and kindness touched hundreds of children during the many years she was secretary at Lewisburg School. If you live in or near Lewisburg and are able give her a call or stop by to visit and wish her a Happy Mother’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...