Wednesday, May 22, 2019

When You Can’t Remember

If you are nearing the age of sixty remember these words, ‘delayed recall’. The term delayed recall will help you feel better about not being able to remember something that you should easily remember. I’m talking about things like the names of a good friend, your pastor, one of your physicians or maybe a grandchild. I don’t know how many times I have been embarrassed because I could not remember a name of someone, or a  key juncture when I am telling a story, giving directions, or making a point about something I read in a good book. I really don’t forget, but for that very important moment it is simply lost somewhere in my mind. When I have these lapses I have learned that I am experiencing delayed recall. I will be able to tell you the name, but not right now. Those directions will come to me if you can just give me a little time. The name of that book will be retrieved from my memory bank, but maybe not for another hour or two. I don’t know when but, when it does I will let you know.

There are times when I experience delayed recall when someone asks me a question. “Where did you and Sherri eat last night?” I know exactly where I ate, but when I am asked a question out of the clear  blue without warning, I panic and go blank. There again the curse of not being able to remember strikes me, and I stand there staring into space as though the name of the restaurant will appear somewhere out there on a celestial billboard. When this happens I can easily explain that I know where we ate, but at the moment I am experiencing delayed recall. “The food was very good, and I do recommend the place. As soon as I recall the name I will certainly tell you.”

Years ago when this delayed recall thing began to affect us, Sherri and I were going out to get something to eat one evening. As we drove toward several eating places we were discussing where we wanted to dine.
Sherri said, “Why don’t we eat at Ben Thomas’?”

I drew a blank. “Ben Thomas! I don’t think I have ever heard of Ben Thomas! Are you sure that is the name of the restaurant?” Then, all of a sudden, it came to me. I can’t explain why it came to me, but for some reason I understood which restaurant my wife was trying to remember.

“There is no restaurant named Ben Thomas. Do you mean Bob Evans?”

“That’s it! That’s it! Bob Evans is what I was meaning to say!” She was so excited that I was able to figure out the restaurant she had in mind. Luckily, we've been together long enough that we know what the other is thinking.

No need to fret when you can’t remember something that is very obvious to most normal people. The loss of memory is only temporary. You are not the only person who cannot remember something as easy as your own name. You are just having a moment of delayed recall. If you are a senior citizen you will feel more at ease and more confident by remembering those two little words – delayed recall. Get used to it. Delayed recall will be your constant companion. I just hope I don’t come to the point where I can’t recall the words delayed recall!

2 comments:

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...