Thursday, May 23, 2019

Playing With Fire

When I was a toddler I burned my hand on the oven door of our kitchen stove. My mother was taking something out of the oven, and before she could set it down I ran over and plopped my hand down on the inside of that piping hot door. My hand was badly burned. I still have a scar that reminds me never to stick my hand on something that will burn me.

There are many harmful opportunities that will burn us. Unfortunately we have to go through some painful, difficult experiences to learn how to avoid being burned. Poor decisions have left individuals scared for life. Most of the time we are given many chances to learn when we are getting too close to the flame. Some figure it out and step back. Others never heed the warnings that they are about to be burned again. They get burned and walk away in anguish saying, “I will never make this mistake again.”  Sadly they do return to the fire, and very often their repetitive mistakes not only hurt them, but others as well.

Bad habits, addictions, selfishness, uncontrolled anger, trying to be God are only a few factors that result in getting a person  burned over and over again and again. So what is the answer? Self help books? Grit and determination? Believing and trusting in yourself? I don’t think so! What about believing in Jesus, trusting in the power of God’s Holy Spirit? Try living a holy life. Try helping others, living for others and considering everyone better than yourself. Or you can go ahead and jump in the fire like you have done so many times before. Continuing to go fire jumping will get you nowhere except to prepare you for the day when your last leap will be into an inferno hotter than anything you can imagine.  There will be no more chances after that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...