Thursday, July 22, 2021

Some Place tTo Go

 There are 25 of them between our house in Wake Forest to a  destination in Raleigh that Sherri and I frequently drive . The distance is thirteen miles, and the trip should take only thirty minutes. However, getting from here to there within that time frame doesn’t always happen. Heavy traffic, slow traffic, bad weather and unexpected delays occasionally slow my progression causing us to be late. But the culprits that most often cause my tardiness are those 25 foreboding traffic lights hanging like evil sentries above the streets just waiting to stop drivers like me who need a little help getting to their destination on time. I care not to be associated with such sinister foes because they bring out the worst in me. But I have no choice. 

After all the years of fighting traffic lights I have found a sure way to defeat them. I do have a choice! When something is getting to you no matter how great or small it may be, here is the thing to do. Count it all Joy! If you are stopped by 25 red lights, count every one of them as moments of joy. When you run a red light and get a ticket, count it all joy. When red lights cause you to be late to where you are going, count it all joy because you do have somewhere to be going. 

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.” James 1:2-3 

While you consider the joys of being delayed, having a bad day, or even experiencing great loss, think also about how you have been blessed. I can find something every single day for which I can complain. But I can think of so much more that is cause for rejoicing. 

Mumbai India has the largest slum population of any city in the world. An estimated 6.5 million people reside in conditions where there is no access to clean water, electricity, sufficient food or public transportation. I’m not sure a man or woman could live to be as old as I am in this kind of environment. But if there happens to be a 72 year old man in these slums he probably has never been anywhere outside of the confines of that hellish place. He has no place to go.

I am so ashamed of myself for the many times I’ve gotten upset and angry because I have been stopped at a traffic light. Maybe I’ll get stopped at one light, or 10 lights, or all 25 lights. No problem, I can count this joy because at 72 years of age I still have somewhere to go.

By the way, those 25 traffic lights are on my way to my church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...