Friday, August 6, 2021

Strive to Be Positive.

 A well known pastor was preaching about how Christians should be positive no matter what is going on in their lives. He went on to express that people who are depressed have a spiritual problem, not a mental problem.  He is against taking medicine to control depression. His remedy for overcoming depression is to  read the Bible, pray and trust in Jesus. I listen to this man two or three times a week. He is an excellent preacher. I think he is one of the best, but when I heard his view on depression I became a bit angry at him. I was disappointed. In fact, his statements hurt me because I am on medication to help me with depression. 

I do agree that Christians should be positive. I think I am positive most of the time. But there are still those episodes of depression that may last weeks when I am not able to be positive. There is no reason that I can put my finger on as to why I am depressed. I wish I didn’t get depressed, but I do. I am on a new medication that has helped me. I rarely get depressed and the depression doesn’t last very long. After 30 years since my problem was diagnosed God directed me to a doctor who figured out the severity of my depression and is treating it correctly. Fifty-three years ago God directed me to another doctor who diagnosed that I had type 1 diabetes. He prescribed insulin which I have taken ever since. This medication didn’t heal me, but it has kept me alive so that I have reached the ripe old age of 73, and I am still doing pretty well. 

I wonder how many Christians are positive all of the time no matter what is going on in their lives. I think most of us have times when we have difficulty being positive. Reading the Bible, praying and trusting in the Lord should be the daily routine of every Christian. Let me add to those three, worship, praise, adoration and rejoicing.  I read and study the Bible and serve in the church I attend. I pray. I worsip God, praise him and adore him. And I try to rejoice in all things, but sometimes I have a hard time with that one. I wonder if there are Christians who do not struggle with depression, that have difficulty rejoicing in all things and are not very positive. Do you ever have trouble being positive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...