Saturday, January 7, 2023

This Could Be My Last Christmas

Every Christmas Eve, after my dad died at age 54, my mom, who would turn 106 today if she were still living, would say to me, my brother, our wives and our children, “This may be my last Christmas.” She never got over my dad’s death. She missed him so much, I think, especially at Christmas. We didn’t like when she said that she might not be with us again at Christmas. To hear that just before we were going to unwrap our gifts was certainly not the time to make such a morbid statement. Mon was only 56 years old when she started that nonsense. 

After a few years Mike and I began making fun of her when she would make this annual Christmas statement. “Where are you going?” Which one of us can have your car (and we would argue about that)? Make sure your will is up to date? Be sure to tell daddy we said hello!” We responded with whatever non sympathetic statement came to mind. She would get tickled, we all had a good laugh and then began opening our presents. Mike and I always argued about which one of us got the best present from her. Of course mom would fuse at us telling us to stop, that the gifts were the same. One year she gave each of us a framed picture of herself. Boy did we have fun with that! We knew mom enjoyed our shenanigans. She was a funny lady, and I miss my her.very much. By the way, our mother celebrated 31 more Christmases with us before she died at age 87.

As we age, at least for Sherri and me, time changes  so many things about our family Christmases. This year, only my North Carolina daughter, her husband and Holly, our granddaughter were with us to celebrate Christmas. We had a great time, but I missed being with other members of our family. But rather than bemoaning the fact that Christmas family gatherings are not as they used to be you and I should rejoice in the way Christmas was, is and will always be until Jesus comes again. Even if we are alone we can celebrate the birth of Jesus. He is Emanuel; He is with us. He is alive, and He has saved you and me from our sins. Here is the good part, one day we will celebrate with Jesus in heaven, forever, and ever and forever more! Amen!

Yesterday might have been my last Christmas on earth,  and it might have been your last Christmas. That’s something to think about, especially if you have never accepted Jesus as your Savior and Lord. He loves you, and He wants to save you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...