Saturday, January 7, 2023

Priceless Gifts

The Christmas of 2017 Brady got everyone in our family a gift , except me. Brady is my grandson. He realized on the afternoon of Christmas Eve that he had forgotten to get me a Christmas present. He asked his dad if he could have his credit card so he could get some gas and go to Target to get me a gift That request was denied . So he asked his mother the same thing. She agreed to let him have her card if he would also get her some Cheese that she needed to make something for our Christmas Eve snacks.

Brady got his gas and went to Target. He got the  Cheese, and a gift for me. When he was ready to pay he couldn't find the credit card. He had enough money to buy  the cheese, but not enough for my gift. He called his dad, and told him what had happened. Later that night Brady did find the credit card, but not before Clay had canceled the card. So I got no Christmas gift from Brady, except that he did tell me that he had given me a good Christmas story I could write about. I guess that is one way of looking at it. He was right, I do have a funny story to share. His gift that year was one of the best.

But there is another side to this story. Earlier in the week Brady had bought his grandmother, Sasha, a Christmas gift. Our grandchildren call Sherri, Sasha. Brady went to a nice lady's shop in Wake Forest where he bought gifts for Sherri and another lady. The Christmas present he picked out for Sherri was a cute little necklace. After Brady had decided on the other gift he was ready to pay. The lady at the register told Brady what he owed, about forty dollars I think. He reached into his backpack and pulled out a large jar full of change which he had been saving for two years. Then he poured out all of those pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters onto the counter. His payment was graciously accepted, but I’ve often wondered what that lady must have thought. 

Brady actually gave me two wonderful gifts on that Christmas. Neither of them were wrapped and placed under the tree. The gifts of 2017 are firmly etched in my mind, and they still bring me some laughs and much joy. I think that a Christmas gift doesn't have to be wrapped in a beautiful package with pretty bows and glitter. We know the greatest Gift ever given was wrapped in swaddling clothes and placed in a manger. This everlasting Gift received by faith, given in love and paid for with a great price brings us joy and peace. The beautiful story of Jesus’ birth is the greatest story ever told because it tells of the great love our Heavenly Father has for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...