Wednesday, September 6, 2017

In the Father's Lap

I was a first child and received a lot of attention. I loved it when my mother held me in her lap, and read stories to me. I remember sitting in her lap listening to the radio. She would rock me in an old rocking chair which my brother has now. There were many long nights when my mom cuddled me in her lap when I was sick or had an earache. Looking back I understand that the special place in her lap those first five years of my life was a place of bonding that assured me of my mother's love.


Not long before I turned five years old my little brother was born. I didn't know anything about getting a brother until he had already arrived. I wasn't very excited at first, but when my parents brought him home I decided having a little brother might not be too bad. They let me hold him. In fact the first time I held him was in the rocking chair where my mother held me. What I didn't know was that my little brother, Michael Lee, would also be getting lap time. This meant my lap minutes would be cut way back. A fellow can't be too happy when his lap time is reduced. I became very jealous.  I’m sure I was not able to express vebally what I was feeling, but I imagine I concluded that the new kid was honing in on my mother's love for me.


Of course my mother loved me as much as she ever had, but this new arrangement was something that was difficult for a little kid four and a half years old to understand. I eventually worked through the trauma of getting a little brother, and accepted Mike about 10 years ago. Just kidding!


My mother's lap was not big enough to hold both Mike and me at the same time, but her heart was. A mother's lap represents her love for all of her children. As wonderful as the lap of a mother is, there is One whose lap is much greater.  Our Heavenly Father’s lap is indescribably large. He is able to hold us in his lap, and love us unconditionally--all of us at the same time.  Oh if we could only understand the enormity of God’s love for us.


How do I know that he loves me? Because he created me. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. He gave me Jesus so that I would not perish, but have eternal life. His Holy Spirit reminds me of my Father's love every day. I talk to him any time I want. Some day he will send Jesus to get me, and take me to heaven where I'll be with him forever.

There wasn't enough room in my little mother's lap for both my brother and me at the same time, but because she spent her life in the Father's lap there was plenty of room in her heart to love us and to love others. That's another reason I know God loves me. He loves you too. Crawl up in the Heavenly Father's lap, and allow him to fill your heart with his wonderful love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...