Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Speaking of Snow

I am pretty sure the year was 1978. The date was around the 2nd or 3rd of January, and it was the first day of school after Christmas break. Snow was in the forecast, but no specific time as to when it was to begin, nor was there an estimated amount. I was teaching and also driving a school bus for Lewisburg School. My route began early around sunrise, and the snow had not begun. The further I went the harder it snowed. The students on my route were ready to get back to school. I don’t think a single student failed to ride the bus that day. When I pulled into the school parking lot I noticed other buses still loaded with students were leaving the school grounds. I pulled up to let the students off. The principal told me that school had been cancelled. “Take ‘em back home!”

As I headed out the road conditions were horrible, and the visibility was getting worse as the intensity of the snow increased. I couldn’t drive very fast, so it took a long time to deliver everyone safe and sound. Near the end of the route on the Thompson Chapel Road I had a long, steep hill to climb, and at the top of the hill there was a sharp curve. I knew I had to build up some speed to make it up the hill. What worried me was how I would be able to maneuver that big bus around the curve. There was no problem getting up the hill, but when I drove the bus into the curve the bus began to slide sideways. I cut the wheels toward the direction of the slide and finally got the bus under control. Scary!

The four or five students still on the bus loved it. They sounded like they were on a roller coaster. One of them said, “Mr. Brady, how did you do that?” My reply, “I don’t know! I had my eyes closed!”
I finished my route and headed home. I was so glad to park that bus and relax.

The snowstorm of 1978 is still discussed to this day. There was no school anywhere the whole month of January. I can’t remember when we finally returned to school. I think we had about three feet of snow from the storm. People were snowed in, and the national guard had to rescue many. Sheri and I were having a house built during that time. That was not a good experience for us. But we lived through it. I guess if we could survive the 1978 Blizzard we can make it during this major snowstorm in Raleigh NC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...