Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Hesitate and You’ll Be Too Late

Last summer I bought a set of tires for my wife’s car. The four tires came with a $50 rebate offer. In order to get the $50 I had to send my receipt and a request to the manufacturer. I think I had four or five weeks before the offer expired. There was plenty of time so I didn’t immediately make the request. I did not forget about doing this, but I did put off doing it until I let the expiration date slip up on me. Time flies, as it is said, and this thing I intended to do, and assumed I had plenty of time to do was upon me before I knew it.

One morning I thought I had better send in that rebate request because I knew the deadline  was getting very close. I got my receipt and made a picture of it for an online request. I found the company’s rebate offer, filled in my information and was ready to send in the request for my $50. I clicked on that little send box, and was pleased that in a couple of weeks I would receive a check for $50. Almost immediately I heard a ding indicating that I had received an email. I checked to see what it was, and was so disappointed when I read the message telling me that the offer had expired. In fact the offer had expired the day before. I was one stinking day late. Fifty dollars down the drain because I hesitated and was too late sending in that rebate request. The tire company was saying, “Here is your money. All you need to do is ask for it.” I hesitated and came up late.

“The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life. Revelation 22:17

This is the offer that Jesus makes to every person. It is better than a tire rebate. We don’t have to buy anything to get it, and it is a matter of eternal life or eternal damnation. But like that rebate there is a deadline that we must meet to get it. However, unlike the rebate we don’t know when Jesus’ offer for eternal life expires. Death comes like a thief in the night. We don’t know the time of Jesus’ return. Jesus offers the free gift of the water of eternal life, and all we have to do is repent of our sins, ask for forgiveness, and commit our lives to the only One who can save us from hell.

I only lost $50 for hesitating and coming up a day late. No big deal! But it is a big deal if we hesitate and are late coming to Jesus. Today may be your last chance to ask Jesus to save you. Today may be your last opportunity to receive the free gift of living water. Ask Jesus to forgive you of your sins. Tell Jesus you want to live for him, and that on this very day while the offer of free living water is still in effect, receive Jesus as your Savior. Hesitate no more. Don’t be too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art of Striking Out

During his major league career Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs, but he struck out 1,330 times. Ruth is known as one of the greatest hitters of a...